[Fontconfig] Glyph fallback

Ender Erel ender.erel at icterra.com
Tue Nov 19 05:21:39 PST 2013

Hi all,

I am using Qt on Embedded Linux and trying to setup fallback fonts for some glyphs. I was told that Qt does not support this on its own but it supports fontconfig, which in turn supports glyph fallback.

First, let me explain my situation:
I have three TTF fonts (without any overlap in glyph coverage):
-FontA: includes Latin, Cyrillic and Greek characters
-FontB: includes Korean characters
-FontC: includes Chinese & Japanese characters

I want to setup my system such that FontA is used for all text but missing characters in FontA are taken from FontB, and if FontB does not contain them, taken from FontC. Is it possible to setup fontconfig that way? If so, are there any tutorials or examples on how to do that? I can't seem to find one.

P.S.: In my current deployment, fontconfig is not deployed and I want to make sure what I need is possible before making a deployment with fontconfig.
P.P.S.: Is glyph fallback the right term? I think "Font fallback" refers to using FontB in case FontA is not installed on the system, whereas in my case all fonts are installed therefore fallback is used only for missing glyphs. Am i correct?

Best Regards,
Ender Erel