[Fontconfig] Why is the default weight FC_WEIGHT_MEDIUM?

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Sat Oct 26 03:34:04 PDT 2013

Akira TAGOH wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That sounds reasonable to me so that the normal weight is also default in CSS.
> Does anyone else have any objection about this change? one concern is

I wondered about this too once (and subsequently adjusted my config), so
I think changing it is a sensible thing to do.
As most fonts are not available with weights 100 *and* 80 anyway it
should not affect a lot of people.

> if there are anyone who are relying on current behavior, this change
> will breaks it despite you get a fix.

I don't think there is a lot of potential for trouble here. The change
will only apply after target="pattern" rules, so if users have set
defaults in the pattern before, this will not be affected. Also, generic
matches will not be affected because they typically land on fallbacks
from the 'family' property and 'weight' has lower priority.
So it's mainly about fonts that are available in 80 and 100, and chances
are that people using them see the current behavior as a bug, too...

Raimund

Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 DE  home: <rs at mytum.de>
+49-179-2981632 icq 16845346           work: <rs at interface-ag.de>