[Fontconfig] Pattern Matching Issues

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Mon Feb 3 06:51:53 PST 2014

On Fri, January 31, 2014 16:53, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 14-01-30 09:26 PM, Akira TAGOH wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 4:27 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org>
wrote:
>>> The problem is that in fcfreetype.c, we only set FC_SPACING on the
font
>>> if
>>> it's not FC_PROPORTIONAL.  Then when matching, if the font pattern
doesn't
>>> have FC_SPACING, it is an implicit match.  Ouch!  I think we should
fix
>>> the
>>> first part.  I'm sure there was a reason for it (broken fonts, etc?).
But I
>>> think we should fix it now.  Here's the relevant part of fcfreetype.c:
>>>     if (spacing != FC_PROPORTIONAL)
>>>         if (!FcPatternAddInteger (pat, FC_SPACING, spacing))
>>>             goto bail2;
>> The reason may be true. but I have no idea what the font it was. we may
need to figure out the side-effect on this change in advance. Aside
from that, we should add a test case to check if targeted parameters on
matcher is surely available after scanning. or having a trick for those
missing parameters on matcher and ignore it. later one might be more
robust for incompatibility on matcher in the future perhaps.
> Sure that would be good long term.  But in this case, not setting
FC_PROPORTIONAL totally breaks any use of this property.
> Indeed, we want to be able to match monospace fonts.  We should do that
in
> vte
> for example.

If I look at:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/fontconfig/commit/?id=148656ed8b3755f0634be14ae60996a1ad493836

and:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/fontconfig/commit/?id=848d32bd3f141f0c14abfec38d4cf27eedd1f0a5

it appears to me that finding a reliable way to set FC_MONO (without the
use of buggy font metadata) was the main concern back then. It seems that
for font formats other than PCF it is done by actually
comparing all the glyph widths (in FcFreeTypeCharSetAndSpacingForSize).
Maybe the problem with this heuristic approach wasn't how to detect
FC_MONO but how to distinguish between the other values, which could
explain why the latter weren't actually used in patterns, particularly as
the first version from the above commit didn't support detecting FC_DUAL.

When that was added later maybe this could have been changed though, since
FC_CHARCELL is probably somewhat of a special case for PCF anyway (no
expert on this though).

As it stands now the code is:

[...]
    if (fixed_advance)
	*spacing = FC_MONO;
    else if (dual_advance && APPROXIMATELY_EQUAL (2 * FC_MIN (advance_one,
advance_two), FC_MAX (advance_one, advance_two)))
        *spacing = FC_DUAL;
    else
	*spacing = FC_PROPORTIONAL;
    return fcs;
[...]

NB. While I agree that it makes no sense having SPACING in the matcher in
its current state, the situation for terminal apps etc. is not that bad I
think. They can always use the "monospace" family as fallback value in the
pattern, or use FcFontList with spacing=mono or spacing=dual to get
available mono/dual-space families before matching, which should be the
natural choice for GUI pickers anyway...

Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 DE  home: <rs at mytum.de>
+49-179-2981632 icq 16845346           work: <rs at interface-ag.de>