[Fontconfig] How to block glyph fallback in a QT application?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Tue Jan 7 00:26:54 PST 2014

On 14-01-07 03:24 PM, Janusz S. Bien wrote:

> I would appreciate very much your comments to the quoted passages: what is the
> meaning of "script" or "writing system" in this context?

That typically (and in this context) means Unicode scripts.  Think: Latin,
Arabic, Hebrew, Cyrillic, Greek, Devanagari, Thai, Hangul, etc.

> How the system can
> check whether the font supports a given script or not? Is it a property of a
> font? If so, how is it encoded?

IMO text rendering clients shouldn't do those kinds of checks.  If a font has
basic coverage for characters used in a language, the rendering client should
use it.  But Qt does otherwise.  I don't remember the exact details, but I'm
guessing that Qt doesn't actually ask fontconfig for the best font per
language (I hope I'm wrong).  Instead, it asks for the font list for default
language, and then rejects any font that doesn't look like supporting the
script at hand.

Maybe Konstantin can chime in.

--
behdad