[Fontconfig] Portable apps and fontconfig

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Jun 21 21:01:32 PDT 2014

I'm packaging up a windows app that uses fontconfig, and discovered
that to get fonts working, I have to put a fonts.conf in
  c:/Program Files (x86)/Foo/bar/binaries/etc/fonts
OK, fine, I can do that.  But it's annoying to have to put
the absolute path to the fonts in fonts.conf.  For one thing,
I might not know where the app is going to be installed.
For another, I'm really packaging a set of libraries, and I don't
have control over the final app, so the nice magic keywords
CUSTOMFONTDIR and APPSHAREFONTDIR don't do me
much good (they're .exe-relative, not .dll-relative).
What I really really want is another magic keyword that is dll-relative.

Furthermore, I think at the moment the location of the fonts.conf
file is hard-coded (right?).  It'd be nice if it could be looked for
via a dll-relative path.

Both of these would only apply when fontconfig was built as a shared library.

Have patches for these two ideas been considered in the past, and
would y'all accept such patches if offered?