[Fontconfig] How to add custom font files without updating fonts.conf

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 8 11:43:28 PDT 2014

On 2014-09-08 18:42 (GMT+0530) Prakhar Mishra composed:

> I want to know how can I add a custom font directory or just a custom font
> file without editing "fonts.conf" file ?
> (actually my application don't have permission to edit "fonts.conf" file)

> is there any environment variable available ?

I don't know of any applicable ENVAR. You only need to put your custom font
files in a proper place for them to be available, usually:

user only:
~/.local/share/fonts/

system/global:
/usr/local/share/fonts/

Because not all distros adhere to FHS, see also this thread:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/fontconfig/2014-July/005269.html

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/