[Fontconfig] Webdings and other MS symbol fonts don't display

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Sat Apr 25 04:11:40 PDT 2015

Behdad Esfahbod wrote on Fri, 24 Apr 2015 19:24:50 -0700:

> On 15-04-24 06:05 AM, Ingo Brückl wrote:
>> This is probably due to commit cbb6ee16 (Bug 35517 - Remove Apple Roman
>> cmap support). Although commit d6d5adeb (Fix symbol cmap handling) stated
>> to have fixed it, I cannot confirm. I can confirm, however, that version
>> 2.8.0 works fine.
>>
>> So, is there any chance to make the MS symbol fonts (Webdings, Symbol,
>> Wingdings) display with fontconfig again?

> Please report your experience, with details. What do you expect with what
> version, and what do you observe instead?

I'd expect old MS documents opened by abiword's mswrite plugin to display the
symbols in it rather than some alphanumeric characters.

I'd further expect these symbols to show up in gucharmap (from U+0000) and
in GTK's font selection dialog preview as well as in an editor like leafpad
when selecting Webdings and typing something.

Instead, I see normal latin characters.

As mentioned, version 2.8.0 works as expected, 2.11.93 doesn't.

So, as Raimund wrote, the latin character mapping is missing.

Ingo