[Fontconfig] [fontconfig] proportional sans oxygen font not available

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sat Aug 22 20:08:11 PDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 10:48:01PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> What's the secret in any version of Fedora (e.g. 22) or openSUSE (e.g.
> Tumbleweed) or *buntu (e.g. 14.10 or 15.04) to getting any "Oxygen"
> (proportional regular sans, not mono, not bold) font to show up anyplace
> except a KDE font configuration or installation panel or KDE's UI? I tried in
> several versions of these three distros on multiple machines, and always
> nothing from fc-match or anything else (helpful from) fontconfig. Trying to
> get a locally installed (non-bold, non-mono sans, by whatever name; either
> via package manager or placing the ttf files in /usr/local/share/fonts/)
> Oxygen ttf font to show up on a web page styled to use Oxygen (sans) never
> makes it happen, always falling back to some other font family.

It looks like the hyphen in the font name is the culprit, so this will
not work:
$ fc-match 'Oxygen-Sans'

But if you escape the hyphen it will work:
$ fc-match 'Oxygen\-Sans'

I don’t know if this is FontConfig bug, but the font is also named
inconsistently:
Family:              Oxygen-Sans
Subfamily:           Sans-Book
Full name:           Oxygen Sans Book
PostScript name:     Oxygen-Sans-Book

That should have been:
Family:              Oxygen Sans
Subfamily:           Book
Full name:           Oxygen Sans Book
PostScript name:     OxygenSans-Book

I suggest that you contact upstream to fix the font names, the hyphen in
the family name in particular is not a terribly good idea.

Regards,
Khaled