[Fontconfig] Matching font by unicode coverage

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Sun Jan 18 23:46:23 PST 2015

That way is what Pango do to figure out the glyph coverage in fonts. they
convert the result into their own structure so that it's not that easy to
find out a font that have the certain coverage in fontconfig only.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com>
wrote:

> I'm learning the fontconfig API, and I'm trying to figure out how to do
> the following.
>
> I have arbitrary Unicode text, and I would like to match a reasonable font
> to use for displaying it. It's possible that I might need more than one
> font if, say, the text is a mixture of Latin characters and Asian
> ideographs.
>
> I see that FC_CHARSET is an option to FcPattern. Does this sound like I'm
> on the right track:
>
> A) Construct an FcCharset and add all unicode characters in the text to
> display
>
> B) Add it as a FC_CHARSET value to an FcPattern.
>
> C) Use FcFontList() to search for the matching font.
>
> The developer reference contains the following statement: "Fontconfig uses
> some of these properties for font matching and font completion. Others are
> provided as a convenience for the application's rendering mechanism."
>
> So, I guess I'm trying to clarify whether I can use the FC_CHARSET
> property to search for fonts that have coverage for my unicode text, or if
> this a non-searchable property, only.

Akira TAGOH