[Fontconfig] fontconfig: Branch 'master'

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Wed Jan 21 22:56:44 PST 2015

>     Now, the reason this confusion happened, if I was to guess, is
>     either that FreeType docs are wrong saying that
>     FT_ENCODING_MS_SYMBOL is the "Microsoft Symbol encoding, used to
>     encode mathematical symbols":
>
>       http://www.kostis.net/charsets/symbol.htm
>
>     or maybe it started that way, but turned into also mapping MS
>     symbol- font cmaps, which is a completely different thing.

I've updated the documentation in FreeType.  We now have

      FT_ENCODING_MS_SYMBOL ::
        Corresponds to the Microsoft Symbol encoding, used to encode
        mathematical symbols and wingdings.  For more information, see
        `http://www.kostis.net/charsets/symbol.htm' and
        `http://www.kostis.net/charsets/wingding.htm'.

        This encoding uses character codes from the PUA (Private
        Unicode Area) in the range U+F020-U+F0FF.

    Werner