[Fontconfig] Printing Emoji with xft

Kai Hendry kai.hendry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 22:50:06 PST 2015

Hi there, I have a curious problem with Xft whilst trying to print
Emojis from https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/moztt/blob/master/Noto/NotoColorEmoji.ttf
which I hope you can guide me on:

X1C3:~/suckless/dmenu$ ./t3.sh
NotoColorEmoji.ttf: "Noto Color Emoji" "Medium"
X Error of failed request:  BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length error)
  Major opcode of failed request:  139 (RENDER)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  20 (RenderAddGlyphs)
  Serial number of failed request:  274

https://github.com/kaihendry/dmenu-emoji-tests is the source of the
Xft patched http://tools.suckless.org/dmenu/ I'm trying to render the
Emoji glyphs with.

Be sure to build with `make font` to setup NotoColorEmoji.ttf in your path.

I'm running Archlinux & my fontconfig version is 2.11.1-1.

What does the above error mean?

How can I get this working?

What's the canonical way of specifying this particular ttf font with Xft?

Many thanks!