[Fontconfig] Webdings and other MS symbol fonts don't display

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Tue May 12 16:45:28 PDT 2015

On 05/10/15 23:17, Ingo Brückl wrote:

>>> I'd expect old MS documents opened by abiword's mswrite plugin to display
>>> the symbols in it rather than some alphanumeric characters.
>
>>> I'd further expect these symbols to show up in gucharmap (from U+0000) and
>>> in GTK's font selection dialog preview as well as in an editor like leafpad
>>> when selecting Webdings and typing something.
>
>>> Instead, I see normal latin characters.
>
>>> As mentioned, version 2.8.0 works as expected, 2.11.93 doesn't.
>
>> Ping?
>
> I provided the requested information, so could I get an answer please?

Ingo, I think going back to the Apple Roman cmap isn't really an option
as that caused misbehavior in other fonts. Well, at least not by simply
reverting cbb6ee1662f1219518677a9d489159778a812782.

I do agree that WingDings is at the moment (still) unusable with
fontconfig because no document or app at the moment uses its PUA
codepoints, and since Windows still supports the latin character mapping
as per the OpenType recommendation cited, it's unlikely that this will
change.

I would hope that a patch would be accepted despite the recent
simplification efforts in fcfreetype.c. I know that this is a lame
suggestion, but in the meantime the best you can probably do is to keep
the affected apps linked against 2.8.0.

Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 DE  home: <rs at mytum.de>