[Fontconfig] Hinting paths

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Sun Nov 1 23:00:00 PST 2015

Actually do nothing in fontconfig for that. how invoking APIs in
FreeType depends on applications that takes care of those properties.
fontconfig just manages and defines those properties and provides
turning on/off through API. so if you want to see how it actually
behaves, better checking applications/libraries.

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 7:49 PM, Nikolaus Waxweiler <madigens at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
> so I'm currently trying to figure out which hinting paths a glyph can
> take from the perspective of fontconfig. So far I found:
>
> TrueType:
> - hintslight, autohint true/false: autohinter, fits to Y-axis
> - hintmedium, autohint false: ???
> - hintmedium, autohint true: autohinter X-and-Y-fitting?
> - hintfull, autohint false: native, X-and-Y-fitting or Y-fitting only
> depending on the instructions in the font?
> - hintfull, autohint true: stronger autohinter X-and-Y-fitting?
>
> OpenType/CFF:
> - hintslight, autohint true/false: autohinter, Y-fitting
> - hintmedium == hintfull, autohint false: native, Y-fitting only
> - hintmedium, autohint true: autohinter X-and-Y-fitting?
> - hintfull, autohint true: stronger autohinter X-and-Y-fitting?
>
> Type 1:
> - hintslight, autohint true/false: autohinter, Y-fitting
> - hintmedium, autohint false: low-quality Y-fitting
> - hintmedium, autohint true: autohinter X-and-Y-fitting?
> - hintfull, autohint false: slightly thinner low-quality Y-fitting?
> - hintfull, autohint true: stronger autohinter X-and-Y-fitting?
>

> So, questions:
> - With autohint on, hintslight/medium/full do Y-fitting, X-and-Y-fitting and
> stronger X-and-Y-fitting from within the autohinter *without any "native
> hinting"*? Werner said, the autohinter just does X-and-Y and Y-only fitting,
> so where does the difference between medium and full come from?
> - With autohint off, what does hintmedium/full do for TrueType and Type1
> fonts? Medium == full for CFF fonts?
> - I don't understand FC's source. How does it tell FT what hinting style to
> apply?

Akira TAGOH