[Fontconfig] Changing to hintslight globally by default + hintfull for otfs

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Sun Oct 18 17:28:42 PDT 2015

Not  really. speaking of changing constant name and attributes mainly,
given that we changed something around this, users still doesn't know
what is the best choice even though how those looks better may be
subjective. just thought it may be helpful to provide configuration
files per font format as examples with more detailed comments rather
than changing/adding something for people only who knows technical
thing in fonts so that they can learn what's better for their env
after that. that said, it comes up from the name of FT_LOAD_TARGET_XXX
somewhat and still behaves differently with the same flags among font
formats as you mentioned, it might be better changing in FreeType
first if you like.

I don't have any objections for changing the default hintstyle in
fontconfig personally otherwise. as I wrote earlier, the improvements
are welcome.

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Nikolaus Waxweiler <madigens at gmail.com> wrote:
>> All the improvement are welcome. though the suggestion may needs
>> understanding how they behaves on font formats as you mentioned. so I
>> suppose providing case-by-case examples may be hepful for users. it
>> can be done in the configuration files without modifying the code at
>> least.
>

> You mean I should provide screenshots for hintfull/medium/slight for .ttf,
> .otf and .pfa/b? Can do, hopefully soon.

Akira TAGOH