[Fontconfig] Pregenerate fontconfig cache

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia guille.rodriguez at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 15:45:28 UTC 2016

Hi James,

> GRG> However when I install this rootfs image to the target system, on
> GRG> first boot the pregenerated cache files are ignored, and the cache
> GRG> files are regenerated again from scratch.
>
> It would probably be easiest for you to edit the fontconfig src you
> compile for the embedded system.  You can skip the regen code entirely.

Indeed this seems to be the best option. I found and adapted a patch
that solves a similar problem [1].

I am surprised that this issue is not causing trouble for other
people. I'd say that on embedded systems (especially if the root file
system is read only) this would be a common problem.

 [1]: https://github.com/openwebos/meta-webos/blob/master/recipes-graphics/fontconfig/fontconfig/Add-ignore-mtime-option-to-fc-cache.patch

Best,

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez at gmail.com