[Fontconfig] no `stable' cache file in `~/.fonts'

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Sun Aug 28 20:07:54 UTC 2016

[fontconfig 2.11.0]

Running

  fc-cache -v

as a normal user, I see the following.

    /usr/share/fonts: skipping, existing cache is valid: 0 fonts, 11 dirs
    /usr/share/fonts/100dpi: skipping, existing cache is valid: 398 fonts, 0 dirs
->  /home/wl/.fonts: skipping, existing cache is valid: 56 fonts, 1 dirs
    /home/wl/.fonts/texlive: skipping, existing cache is valid: 0 fonts, 3 dirs
    /home/wl/.fonts/texlive/opentype: skipping, existing cache is valid: 0 fonts, 12 dirs
    /home/wl/.fonts/texlive/opentype/adobe: skipping, existing cache is valid: 0 fonts, 3 dirs
    /home/wl/.fonts/texlive/opentype/adobe/sourcecodepro: skipping, existing cache is valid: 14 fonts, 0 dirs
->  /home/wl/.fonts: caching, new cache contents: 56 fonts, 1 dirs
    fc-cache: succeeded

(I've added `fonts/{opentype,truetype,type1}' from a TeXLive
installation as symlinks to `~/.fonts/texlive'.)

What I don't understand are the two marked lines: Why does fontconfig
first report a valid cache, then doing a caching operation inspite of
this?

    Werner