[Fontconfig] Application startup performance

Nick Alcock nick.alcock at oracle.com
Mon Jan 11 16:14:26 PST 2016

On 11 Jan 2016, u-pnrz at aetey.se told this:

> If a permission check will be applied, then please with access() not
> mode bits.

Yeah. I mean, using access() is racy, but to be honest with *font file
directories* that is probably not really a problem. (The canonical
approach for these things, which is to just try to open() it with the
requested mode and see if it fails, doesn't really work too well for
O_RDWR on directories.)

> As soon as there are ACLs on the file system, the mode bits are broken
> and plainly "wrong".

Also with setuid/setgid, LSMs, etc. It is generally a mistake to try to
interpret mode bits programmatically at all.

--
NULL && (void)