[Fontconfig] Application startup performance

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jan 11 22:01:50 PST 2016

Akira TAGOH <akira at tagoh.org> writes:

> Right. but requiring fc-cache -f to update the cache takes a long
> time. and updating fonts in the same directory often happens in distro
> which causes an extra cost by fc-cache -f.

In debian, we record that some fonts have been updated and trigger a
single fc-cache run after all of the packages have been installed. This
minimizes the expense of installing new fonts in the system while still
ensuring that the font caches are up-to-date.

> I'm assuming having a daemon process which watches the font
> directories and obsoletes fc-cache by the hand though.

This doesn't deal with font directories not managed by the system,
leaving applications still scanning those directories at startup time.

I've got about 3000 fonts installed in my home directory; that'd be a
rather traumatic impact on my environment at least.

--
-keith