[Fontconfig] Application startup performance

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Sun Jan 17 06:58:22 PST 2016

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 14:15:48 +0100
u-pnrz at aetey.se wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 11:35:50AM +0100, Raimund Steger wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 16:18:18 +0100
> > u-pnrz at aetey.se wrote:
> > > It would be useful to have references which software and when tries
> > > to update the fonts, without knowing to run fc-cache.
> > >
> > > Would you name some examples?
> >
> > all Win32 apps I know (VLC, mplayer, probably Inkscape, etc.). Not
> > because *they* install fonts but because on Windows running fc-cache
> > is uncommon.
>
> Most of those applications have presumably some kind of installers which
> are in a very good position to run fc-cache, as soon as the developers
> become aware of the need.

That won't do, if users add fonts in the Control Panel, Windows will update its registry but not fontconfig's cache(s).

Also, the topic of Windows installers has been visited a couple of times but it has proven very difficult to spread the word. That was the rationale behind LOCAL_APPDATA_FONTCONFIG_CACHE, IIRC.

Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 DE  home: <rs at mytum.de>
+49-179-2981632 icq 16845346           work: <rs at interface-ag.de>