[Fontconfig] Application startup performance

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Mon Jan 18 19:09:58 PST 2016

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 5:54 PM, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> Akira TAGOH <akira at tagoh.org> writes:
>
>> Not exactly. fontconfig doesn't stat everey directory at runtime but
>> relies on the subdir list in the cache to traverse. so if it isn't
>> outdated and missing some, it won't be picked up by fontconfig.
>
> How can it "miss some" if it checks the timestamp of the parent before
> relying on the list?

Previously fontconfig only locks the file when writing out. the time
to write it out since bringing up fc-cache depends on the time of
collecting data and it takes more time if there are more targeted
files and directories. and likely to see a process finished first
which brought up later.
so I locked out between reading and writing to avoid it.

>> Not sure but perhaps it is. my memory is already vague and not sure if
>> it had a nano second in the mtime. so better testing anyway.
>
> Hrm. Is fontconfig even using the higher resolution time when the file
> system supports it?

Yes. well, very recently. not yet included in any releases.

--
Akira TAGOH