[Fontconfig] how to detect `fontconfig needs a long time'

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Tue Jul 19 06:51:09 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 9:20 PM, Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:

>> well, updating caches will be done inside APIs. unfortunately there
>> are no interfaces to monitor it so far.
>
> Hmm.  Given that it can take a few minutes if executed the first time,
> such an API is highly desirable IMHO.

Agreed. how it can be implemented may needs to be discussed though.

>> the caches will be only updated when 1) there are no corresponding
>> caches available in the certain font cache dirs 2) the mtime of font
>> dirs was updated 3) font itself was updated, unless the force-update
>> is performed through API.
>
> OK.  So how can an application find out that the font cache creation
> (or update) is very time consuming?  Is it at least possible to catch
> the situation of a first run?

current implementation assumes the users will runs fc-cache to create
caches before running. as such APIs isn't available at this point, so
no, it isn't. though we discussed a bit these days, if it is wrong
assumption, we may need to think about another way IMHO.

--
Akira TAGOH