[Fontconfig] Why does family under `Best score` differ from that under the preceding `Match Pattern`?

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Mon Mar 7 23:27:31 UTC 2016

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 21:22:09 -0500
Kynn Jones <kynnjo at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> TeX Gyre Chorus 0 0 0    1 0 0 1001 0 1 1002 0 0 0 0 1      1 1 1 0 0
>   1 2.14735e+12
>        Terminus 0 0 0 1001 0 0    1 0 1 1002 0 0 1 0 1 100001 1 1 0 0
> 1001 2.14748e+12
>
> Supposedly the score for `TeX Gyre Chorus` is the better one, but I
> cannot tell why.  Nor can I tell what the various components
> correspond to.  I have not been able to find any documentation about
> any of this.

It's not guaranteed to remain stable, i.e. not part of the public API.

> Both score vectors ave have 22 components, AFAICT `_FcMatcherPriority`
> has 25 components:

PRI_END is just a marker for the last enum element. Also, it depends on fontconfig version. Recent fontconfig's should print a 24-element vector. fontconfig-2.11 (which seems to be the version you're using) has three properties before 'scalable' because it still has FC_HASH. Also, it doesn't have 'color' nor 'symbol' or 'size', all of which were later commits. Hence 22.

0 in a vector element means that the property couldn't be matched (wasn't in the pattern). 1 means good match, everything higher is worse.

Raimund

Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 DE  home: rs at mytum.de
+49-179-2981632 icq 16845346           work: rs at interface-ag.de