[Fontconfig] Lazy caching

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sat Mar 12 02:06:31 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Jerry Casiano <jerrycasiano at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Oh wow, didn't realize Fontconfig updated the cache anytime something
> starts. Did it always do that?

Yes it does, if the cache is outdated.

> Assumed this was left to things like gnome-settings-daemon or whatever.

gnome-settings-daemon installs monitors on fontconfig config and font
directories and upon detecting change, rebuilds the cache indeed, and after
that sends a signal to all apps to redraw themselves (if they implement the
protocol; GTK+ does).  But if GSD was not running, restarting apps will
definitely update the cache, so does calling FcList after 30 seconds has
passed (FcConfigSetRescanInterval).

> On Mar 11, 2016 10:05 AM, "Keith Packard" <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
>
>> Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> writes:
>>
>> > We still be doing all the things we do right now.  Just postpone
>> computing
>> > the charset to the first time it's actually needed, and add it to the
>> cache
>> > then.
>>
>> Might as well just stop updating the cache when applications start and
>> insist that people run fc-cache. That would also solve the problem and
>> not change how fonts end up getting matched.
>>
>> --
>> -keith

behdad
http://behdad.org/