[Fontconfig] How to prevent Chromium from scaling bitmapped fonts?

Kynn Jones kynnjo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 03:53:06 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 7:34 PM, Raimund Steger <rs at mytum.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 12:37:00 -0400
> Kynn Jones <kynnjo at gmail.com> wrote:
> In your case, even the following, located below your "default" rule, should work:
>
>   <match target="pattern">
>   </match>

That's an elegant solution!  It worked pretty well for me too (after
s/chrome/chromium/).  Thank you!

> I have the impression that Chromium was designed from the ground up to support only scalable fonts. ... I don't know how necessary Chromium is for your desktop; in the end it might be less frustrating to focus on Firefox/Iceweasel.

I guess I could not believe until now that there would be such
discrimination against the use of bitmapped fonts.  Chrome/Chromium is
the worst offender, *by far*, but pretty much everything is stacked
against those who want to use bitmapped fonts.  In my case a good
bitmapped font is a necessity: I work at the computer all day, and
after several hours of reading text in a bitmapped font I get vicious
headaches.  I've tried everything to deal with this problem, and so
far switching everything to Terminus has been the most effective
solution.  It's a simple, crisp, freely available font.  I don't
understand why the implementers of Chrome/Chromium decided to deprive
their users of fonts like it.

Once again, thank you very much for your kind help!

kj