[Fontconfig] How to prevent Chromium from scaling bitmapped fonts?

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Thu Mar 17 20:15:19 UTC 2016

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 06:57:51 +0100 (CET)
Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:
> > [...]
> > I guess I could not believe until now that there would be such
> > discrimination against the use of bitmapped fonts.  [...]
>
> What about the solution that contains all the terminus bitmaps as
> `strokes'?
>
>   http://files.ax86.net/terminus-ttf/
>
> Does this work with Chromium?

I just tried it. With antialias on, Chromium will show no missing stems for the "odd" pixelsizes but the outlines are scaled with grayscale/RGBA; it's far more usable but of course not as "crisp" as one would expect a bitmap font to be.

With antialias off, it looks pretty much like the fonttosfnt version.

Kynn, if you want to use this, the font from the above package is called "Terminus (TTF)" so the Chromium rule would have to be changed to:

  <match target="pattern">
  </match>

Raimund

Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 DE  home: rs at mytum.de