[Fontconfig] Styles, weights and slants

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Thu Nov 10 08:06:00 UTC 2016

Hi,

I can't say anything off hand without looking at the properties of those
fonts resulted by fc-scan though, checking the score evaluation from the
debugging log may give you an idea why it became so. try again with
 FC_DEBUG=3.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 2:42 PM, Simon Cozens <simon at simon-cozens.org>
wrote:

> I can't work out how to make FC select fonts with the kind of
> granularity I need.
>
> Suppose I have the Arno Pro family, which contains the following faces:
>
> ArnoPro-Regular ArnoPro-Smbd ArnoPro-Bold
> ArnoPro-Italic ArnoPro-SmbdItalic ArnoPro-BoldItalic
>
> ArnoPro-Subhead ArnoPro-SmbdSubhead ArnoPro-BoldSubhead
> ArnoPro-ItalicSubhead ArnoPro-SmbdItalicSubhead
> ArnoPro-BoldItalicSubhead
>
> ArnoPro-Caption ArnoPro-SmbdCaption ArnoPro-BoldCaption
> ArnoPro-ItalicCaption ArnoPro-SmbdItalicCaption
> ArnoPro-BoldItalicCaption
>
> ArnoPro-SmText ArnoPro-SmbdSmText ArnoPro-BoldSmText
> ArnoPro-ItalicSmText ArnoPro-SmbdItalicSmText ArnoPro-BoldItalicSmText
>
> ArnoPro-Display ArnoPro-SmbdDisplay ArnoPro-BoldDisplay
> ArnoPro-LightDisplay
> ArnoPro-ItalicDisplay ArnoPro-SmbdItalicDisplay
> ArnoPro-BoldItalicDisplay ArnoPro-LightItalicDisplay
>
> This works:
>
> $ fc-match 'Arno Pro:slant=Italic:weight=800'
> ArnoPro-BoldItalic.otf: "Arno Pro" "Bold Italic"
>
> This doesn't:
>
> $ fc-match 'Arno Pro:slant=Italic:weight=200'
> ArnoPro-BoldItalic.otf: "Arno Pro" "Bold Italic"
>
> Is there a way to access the semibold here?
>
> And then display styles are another problem.
>
> This works:
>
> $ fc-match 'Arno Pro:style=Caption'
> ArnoPro-Caption.otf: "Arno Pro" "Caption"
>
> This doesn't:
>
> $ fc-match 'Arno Pro:style=Caption:weight=800'
> ArnoPro-Caption.otf: "Arno Pro" "Caption"
>
> Nor this:
>
> $ fc-match 'Arno Pro:style=Caption:slant=Italic'
> ArnoPro-Caption.otf: "Arno Pro" "Caption"
>
> Is there a way to make this work?

Akira TAGOH