[Fontconfig] performance issue questions

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Fri Nov 25 11:52:43 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 5:13 AM, L. A. Walsh <fonts at tlinx.org> wrote:

> 1) If I don't use 32-bit programs (I don't install them) does the
> 32-bit font info need to be computed and cached?

No. if it's there, that would means you have or you used to have if it
isn't a clean install.

2) does the info program detect hardlinks and not duplicate
> the calculation but reuse it?

No.  the cache is generated per directories but not per fonts. and only
checking a mtime to the target directory to detect the change.

3) Why aren't parallel processes used?  Most users have at
> least 4-6 processors these days (my font cache is on a
> server w/12 processors) and could get a substantial
> reduction if the work was split among multiple processes.

Well,  it could perhaps but the concern is the race on I/O as we've seen on
some older versions.
Though it wouldn't take too much time once you update caches first time. so
wonder if we should spend much time on it.

4) why not run the font-config every night to check if things
> are up-to-date.  That would have painlessly updated my
> cache before I next used it.

You can do if you want. we can't support all of methods. you may want to
ask your package maintainer or distrros if they don't do that.

--
Akira TAGOH