[Fontconfig] Support emoji fonts

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Wed Sep 7 11:21:56 UTC 2016

The problem on that idea is how to figure out what the minimal coverage in
emoji block. at this point, the minimal glyph coverage for langs are
defined in fc-lang/*.orth and cache files contains lang property only which
fonts satisfies the coverage for. if there are any specs defining a must or
an optional to have, that may be helpful otherwise we may need to think
about another idea for that.

maybe good to have a property in a cache to indicate if a font has an emoji
or not, and we could leave the way to use it to applications perhaps.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Guo Yunhe <guoyunhebrave at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I recently studied some emoji fonts. These emoji fonts have fontconfig
> difficulties when packaging. They try to set the font as default emoji font
> but do not affect others. Usually the font has a separated configure file.
>
> <match>
>   <test name="family">
>     <string>sans-serif</string>
>   </test>
>   <edit binding="strong" name="family">
>     <string>Nimbus Sans L</string>
>     <string>EmojiOne Color</string>
>   </edit>
> </match>
>
> However, this will affect sans-serif font settings of other font packages
> or users' setting, because the package do not know which sans-serif font
> users want to use.
>
> I suggest maybe we can map the Unicode emoji block as test condition. Just
> like when we set a Japanese font, it won't affect English and Arabic fonts.
>
> <match>
>   <test name="family">
>     <string>sans-serif</string>
>   </test>