[Fontconfig] Streamlining fontconfig scanning

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Aug 10 02:51:19 UTC 2017

Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> writes:

> I understand why it was added, but hoping that many many years later, we
> can actually remove it and call font bugs what they are: bugs.

Yeah, I can definitely agree on that -- the majority of the fonts I
found with trouble were clearly subsetted and sold for cheap. The
problem is that these fonts over-represent the languages they support,
and you end up with blanks where characters should be. Of course,
picking fonts by language support is not something we usually want to do
with display fonts anyways, so maybe the bugs won't have that much
negative impact.

--
-keith