[Fontconfig] Streamlining fontconfig scanning

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Aug 10 20:40:37 UTC 2017

Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> writes:

> Anyway, we need to reach a rough consensus on which direction to go with
> this.  While the checks above sound smart, I have a hunch that keeping it
> simple results in less headache in the long term.

I suspect just disabling the blank checks would be sufficient;
applications wanting 'some' font to display a particular glyph are
probably better served by using 'sans' and expecting that the
environment will have already set that up to point to a set of fonts
which cover much of the code point space.

Anything more complicated will be harder to explain when it fails.

--
-keith