[Fontconfig] Fontconfig cache file update fails on Windows (also Cygwin)

L A Walsh fonts at tlinx.org
Sat Jan 14 03:25:47 UTC 2017

Masamichi Hosoda wrote:
> But, most Windows applications have their own fontconfig cache directories
> unlike linux applicatons.
> In this case, there is no conflict with other applications
> even if without locking.

---
    Actually, that's a problem -- I wouldn't rely on that behavior
staying that way.  It can take several minutes to generate a large
font cache -- and doing that for each program would make things
even worse.

> fontconfig 2.11.1 does not lock the cache while updating it.
> It works fine on Windows.

----
    Yeah... just because it works right in isolation doesn't mean
it will work right when multiple apps are trying to update it.