[Fontconfig] DTD

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Tue Apr 3 09:13:44 UTC 2018

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 09:36:27 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:

> Do you have examples or documentation of valid Fontconfig XML configs
> which demonstrate what all the elements are for? So far no-one seems
> to have this information.

Have you tried looking in the Fontconfig source?

<https://cgit.freedesktop.org/fontconfig/tree/conf.d>

> A validating XML parser on its own doesn't do anything either

On the contrary, Fontconfig’s config parser does everything we need it
to do: accept exactly that set of valid config files and reject
everything else. And it doesn’t just provide syntactic validation, but
also semantic validation as well: we can use it to test that the config
does in fact do what we expected it to do.

> I think someone may have misunderstood what XML is for.

No, I think you have misunderstood what DTDs are for.