[Fontconfig] prebuilding 32-bit caches on a 64-bit system

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Fri Jan 19 22:12:00 UTC 2018

On 09 Jan 2018 13:24, Keith Packard wrote:
> Akira TAGOH <akira at tagoh.org> writes:
> > I did similar thing in Fedora to have both fc-cache-32 and fc-cache-64
> > installed all together and bring both up from the script if available
> > on the system. I think that works enough. is there any reaons we may
> > prefer using FC_ARCHTECTURE?
>
> Seems cleanest -- if you want le64 cache files, you should use
> fc-cache-le64 to generate them.

there's more to cache files than bitsize and endian.  look at fcarch.h --
it mixes in alignment of doubles too.  there's also pdp endian, but that's
probably never been tested anywhere, and fontconfig should just delete it.

installing multiple files might help with multilib builds, but it doesn't
help with cross-compiling.  it would be nice if fc-cache could deal with
the size/endian/alignment issues at runtime, then you only need one bin.
-mike