[Fontconfig] Another proposal for saving custom fonts in fontconfig

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jun 26 09:08:12 UTC 2019

Hi,

Please don't do that. You're propagating a technical facet of a font
family (variability) inside the font family name. This is the completely
wrong model, user-visible font lists should only include lists of font
designs, and the text stack select the correct technical implementation
(among those available) transparently depending on its rendering needs.

User-visible font lists are not here to make humans compensate app
defects in font file selection.

I firmly intend to mask all those technical font names Fedora-side when
they exist upstream, and rewrite them within fontconfig rules so there
is a single font family exposed to users (as was already done a decade
ago for the Droid mess).

So no:
   Foo Variable
   Foo Math
   Foo Hebrew
   Foo TT
   Foo OT
   Foo my text stack sucks so I make font file selection a human problem
exposed to the user.

Just a single Foo family, and pango and others have to learn how to
select the correct pile of bytes within the files tagged as Foo to
format the text user wants to be rendered in Foo.

If fontconfig is not providing pango and others sufficient info to make
this selection reliably, fix that instead of involving the user.

Let's not reproduce the horror that PS1 font selection was in TEX, for
next-gen OpenType features, based on fontconfig.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot