[fprint] Fwd: AuthenTec AES2550 support

Hugo "Bonstra" Grostabussiat dw23.devel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 10:28:24 PDT 2011

I'm sending a copy to the list of a message I received privately.

Le 22/08/2011 15:23, Evgeniy Flerklo a écrit :
 > I have laptop (Fujitsu Lifebook t730) with 08ff:2550 AuthenTec Finger
 > scanner.
 > It is possible to add support of this scanner to future version s of
 > libfprint?
 > If i can some how to help with it, ill be very glad with it.
 > p.s. im sorry for my poor English and thank you for any answer or
 > assistance.

The fingerprint sensor seems to be the AES2550 model from AuthenTec. It
is not currently supported by libfprint and AuthenTec is not providing
drivers for Linux.

If you're willing to help and have Windows installed on your laptop, you
could provide us with USB logs for your device. It will certainly not be
enough to make a working driver, but it will help finding similarities
your device may share with other already-supported devices.
Process as follow:
1 - Install the Windows driver and an USB sniffer like SnoopyPro
(available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbsnoop/files/)
2 - Start the sniffer and log USB traffic of your fingerprint sensor
3 - Enroll a finger
4 - Stop logging and save the log file as enroll.usblog
5 - Start logging again
6 - Try to match the same finger you just enrolled.
7 - Stop logging and save file as match.usblog
Once you're done, open a bug report at (ignore the possible warning
about invalid certificate):
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=libfprint
Mention the type of fingerprint sensor you're using (AES2550), attach
the output of 'lsusb -v' and attach the USB log files.

Regards.
--
Hugo Grostabussiat