[fprint] question about biometric verify

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 27 20:45:13 PDT 2011

On 28/09/2011 00:49, Wolfgang Ullrich wrote:
> afaik the libfprint driver is not capable of identification with upek
> devices. For my own project FingeprintGui I've used the proprietary
> Linux driver "libbsapi.so" from UPEK. See
> http://www.pdfserver.net/fingerprint for more details.

Speaking of which, I've actually written a driver for libfprint that uses
libbsapi for all its tasks. It's a tad bit incomplete though -- I didn't
implement the identify_* functions, but it works for scanning and verifying, and
works pretty well with fprint_demo, libpam-fprintd, and libpam-fprint.

Unfortunately, due to the non-free dependency on libbsapi, that driver is
excluded from the main libfprint tree.

On the other hand, using the Upek device on my Thinkpad E220s seems to interfere
with the bluetooth device, so I've stopped using it and have stopped developing
it as well.

You can find it at https://github.com/hyperair/fprint-bsapi or
git://github.com/hyperair/fprint-bsapi.git.

A potential idea that can be looked at is to have a directory for manufacturers
to dump proprietary drivers in the form of .so files into, in a similar manner
to the SANE drivers for scanning. This would allow manufacturers to integrate
their drivers into libfprint and the rest of the fingerprint authentication
infrastructure on Linux without needing programs like Fingerprint GUI to treat
each and every SDK separately.

It would also allow out-of-tree drivers like this bsapi driver I wrote to be
distributed, compiled, and installed separately.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin