[fprint] Change blocking login dialog in to passive dialog please

Max linux at xql-llc.com
Sun May 13 09:06:31 PDT 2012

Hello,

I have a suggestion/request for improving logging in using one's fingerprint
unsing the graphical login.

The normal process of logging in using one's fingerprint happens like this:
1)  The computer boots into the graphical login and presents the user an
opportunity to log in.
2)  Instead of entering a password to log in, the user presses the "Enter"
key.
3)  A dialog box appears that reads "Scan right index finger on UPEK Eikon 2"
with only a single button labeled "OK", and the fingerprint reader lights up.
At this point, the fingerprint reader passively refuses to read a fingerprint.
The fingerprint reader will not begin scanning any fingerprints until the user
clicks the "OK" button in the dialog.
4)  The user clicks the "OK" button in the dialog, and the fingerprint reader
is ready to begin accepting fingerprint scans.
5)  The dialog box disappears.
6)  The user scans their fingerprint and login is completed upon a successfully
validated scan.

This process flow has a problem at Step 3.  I suggest and request that instead
of presenting the user with a dialog box that REQUIRES clicking the "OK"
button BEFORE the user can proceed with scanning their finger, instead a
passive dialog is presented with no buttons that DOES NOT BLOCK THE USER from
beginning the scan, and automatically disappears after about 3 to 5 seconds
(or sooner if a valid scan is completed before the timeout).

Here are details about my computer:
*  Lenovo X220 laptop with "147e:2016 Upek Biometric Touchchip/Touchstrip
Fingerprint Sensor"
*  openSUSE 12.1 for x86_64
*  kernel-desktop v3.1.10-1.9.1
*  libfprint0 v0.3.0-7.1.3
*  yast2-fingerprint-reader
*  xorg-x11 v7.6-67.3.1
*  xorg-x11-server v7.6_1.10.4-36.2.1

Since I am not a Linux programmer, please excuse me if my suggestion should go
to somewhere else, and point me to where I should post my suggestion/request.
---
Thanks,
Max