[fprint] Writing a driver for UPEK 147e:1002

Nikola Hardi atlantic777 at lugons.org
Mon Mar 11 15:43:46 PDT 2013

Hi!

I would like to see this device (UPEK 147e:1002) supported and I would
like to volunteer as much as I can. I own this device (it's built in
ThinkPad Edge e420) and I'm interested in learning about USB protocols,
devices, writing new device drivers for Linux and about reverse
engineering working drivers.

I'm not sure where to start. I'm reading about Linux drivers and things
like char device, ioctl and similar but it seems that libusb is better
choice for learning and pyusb is interesting. I don't have a clue which
device class fingerprint readers belong, what are interfaces, what
transfer modes exist but I'm reading about it and it just would be nice
if you could share few hints and suggest me where to go.

And an interesting thing, I found this in libprint/drivers/upeksonly.c :

	* TCS4C (USB ID 147e:1000) support:
	* Copyright (C) 2010 Hugo Grostabussiat <dw23.devel at gmail.com>

I hope there can't be many differences between 0x1000 and 0x1002 models.
I tried to find some datasheets but there's nothing usefull or I just
couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance,

Nikola Hardi - Atlantic777