[fprint] Lubuntu 14.04, Thinkpad x61s

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri Jun 6 03:23:46 PDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-06-06 at 01:23 +0300, golden cut wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Couple of questions and suggestions from a new user.
>
> Is it the normal behavior of fprint to show no feedback when
> fingerprint is un/successfully scanned (at login, xscreensaver etc)?
> Should the user have to press enter for the fingerprint to "take"
> after it's scanned? It's somewhat counter-intuitive since one expects
> the authentication to be either fingerprint OR keyboard entry, not mix
> of the two - it feels like pressing enter to the empty password box.

That's likely related to Lubuntu's PAM configuration. I would take that
up with the distribution. In Fedora, the PAM configuration will try to
use the fingerprint first (for login at the console), and GNOME (gdm,
lock screen) password prompts will allow for either to be used.

> Fprintd-enroll should maybe show some info or feedback when
> fingerprints are entered. It could tell user that it expects multiple
> scans. I scanned, waited, waited, then ctrl+C'd myself out and nothing
> worked of course. Since the message after first scan is something like
> "Success" users might think that's that, and quit or just wait for the
> program to quit.

fprintd-enroll was built as a test/debug application, so it's obviously
not as polished as UIs that were built around fprintd, such as GNOME's
User Accounts panel. That's worth a bug report though, and we'll look
into making fprintd-enroll better.

The bugzilla is at https://bugs.freedesktop.org

Cheers