[fprint] Device 138a:0007 (VFS451)

Daniel Päßler paessler at gmx.de
Tue Oct 14 05:02:45 PDT 2014

Hi,

I own this device in an Elitebook 8740w and spent the last days
searching for a solution to get it to work.

Actually it looks like there is still a bunch of users asking for
support, but as this is an older device, there seems to be no big effort
on getting it to work.
Is there any chance for me (as a non-programmer) to help in any way?
I read a lot about USB-Sniffing, which may be helpful (and some of the
users seems to have already done this).
If I could be able to get one of the Boards off of ebay, would it help
if I send this to a developer?

There was Linux support from HP for some devices from Validity Inc. in
SUSE Linux Enterprise a few years ago. I found some libraries, scripts,
programs and even patches for libfprint.
Is there a chance that these files (though they are old) can help
developing a driver? Maybe someone can have a look at them, they are here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qbbogrkozlomytw/AABcJkDKWk0K9AT6_-g0HDQwa?dl=0

Is there anything else I can do or provide to help?

Thanks,

Daniel