[fprint] Support for my fingerprint reader 138a:003d Validity Sensors, where to start?

Vasily Khoruzhick anarsoul at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 17:48:59 PDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 4:05 AM,  <gregory.bahde at laposte.net> wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Gregory,

> though I found some websites saying that you could build drivers for my
> fingerprint reader I never had it working.
>
> Is it's support supposed to get integrated?
>
> I remember having learned that to make its driver it was needed that I
> dumped some infos from the USB pot under windows but I don't remember where
> I read that.
>
> Well anyway, I wanna help build the open source driver for this - I hate
> typing passwords over and over-.
>
> Please, tell me how I can help?

It's not that easy. You need to capture usb protocol with whatever
tool you prefer (I usually use wireshark on Linux host while running
Windows in VM) and reverse engineer it, i.e.
understand what exactly Windows driver does when sending some USB
transfer and how exactly device responds. Usually, it involves several
try-and-fail iterations. I prefer to develop
small prototype (see https://github.com/anarsoul/fprint_aes1660 as an
example) for playing with device before starting libfprint driver
development.

Regards,
Vasily