[fprint] Version 0.99.0 released

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri Dec 14 14:34:52 UTC 2018

Hey,

This is going to be one of the last releases before the 1.0 release. A
non-exhaustive list of changes due to happen before 1.0 is available
here:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libfprint/libfprint/issues?milestone_title=1.0

I expect a number of other changes to also happen in other parts of the
OS before 1.0 is released, so that we can get the best documentation,
and test infrastructure.

Testers will want to give this version a whirl, and if possible compare
their experiences with version 0.8.2. We're only interested in new bugs
compared to older versions of libfprint.

If you have an Elan device, it might be supported now, thanks for Elan
providing some protocol information, and Igor Filatov using that
information.

For driver developers, I would advise you to rebase your tree, and read
the driver-specific API documentation at:
https://fprint.freedesktop.org/libfprint-dev/pt03.html

If you encounter regressions, or find any sort of problem in the
documentation, please enter a new issue at:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libfprint/libfprint/issues

Changes since 0.8.2:
* Library:
  - All the internal API for device driver writers is now covered by the
    documentation and has been enhanced to make it easier to write drivers
  - Update internal NBIS fingerprint data processing library to one that's
    nearly 10 years newer
  - Re-add accessor for minutia coordinates which was used in the very
    old fprint_demo program, but also by our new GTK+ test program (see below)
  - Fix a crash when too many minutiae were detected in a capture

* Drivers:
  - Support more devices in the Elan driver, stability improvements

* Tools:
  - Add a test GTK+ application that will eventually be used for testing
    drivers without modifying the OS installed version. Note that this
    application currently requires manually changing permissions of USB
    devices, this will be fixed when the infrastructure exists to access
    those devices without additional permissions, as a normal user.

Downloads are at:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libfprint/libfprint/tags