[fprint] Planned SDCP support in libfprint

Benjamin Berg benjamin at sipsolutions.net
Tue Sep 22 15:08:22 UTC 2020

Hi,

it has a while and I had the project put to the side. However, I came
back to it recently and made quite some progress.

The MR is:
  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libfprint/libfprint/-/merge_requests/146

The SDCP support class seems to be mostly working. The only major issue
that I am aware of is that the certificate validation is not tested and
likely does not work. In particular, it is not clear to me which root
CA will be used by actual devices or whether we need to distribute this
in some way.

Other than that, there are likely some rough edges in the API. I would
really welcome feedback about the API. If there is anything you feel is
done in a bad way, then I am happy to reconsider the design and make
changes.

You can find the current documentation here:
  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libfprint/libfprint/-/jobs/artifacts/feature/sdcp/file/_build/doc/html/libfprint-2-Internal-FpSdcpDevice.html?job=build

After all, I want it to be easy to write drivers but can only test it
against a dumb virtual device without knowledge about the actual wire
protocols that are used.

Please reach out to me if you work on a driver and I will do my best to
help. As I said, I do expect a few issues and room for improvement, so
any feed back is explicitly welcome.

Benjamin