[fprint] driver for Broadcom 5880

Benjamin Berg benjamin at sipsolutions.net
Sun Feb 7 17:08:55 UTC 2021

Hi,

these readers are generally USB and writing a driver is easy purely
from a communication point of view.

However, the hard part is understanding the USB protocol. This requires
reverse engineering. As these are security devices, they usually are
much more complicated and are cryptographically secured. To implement a
driver, you would likely need to reverse engineer all that. You might
even need to access to secret keys in order to be able to communicate
with the device.

Benjamin

PS: The linked tutorial is not applicable here as the fingerprint
drivers are implemented all in userspace rather than the kernel.