[Freedesktop-sdk] ABI stability and release model

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Mar 27 15:39:13 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 2:24 PM Javier Jardón <jjardon at gnome.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 at 12:37, Robert McQueen <rob at endlessm.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Tristan and team SDK,
>
> Hi Rob,
>
> Not sure you have seen Alex and my reply, but I think we are basically
> in agreement here
> Putting some notes below to further clarify

Slowing down 18.08 and limiting what goes into it sounds good to me.

But, there is a general feel I get, with comments that doesn't make me
feel warm and fuzzy like:
  https://gitlab.com/freedesktop-sdk/freedesktop-sdk/merge_requests/1031#note_154632041

This attitude of "newer is always better", which is similar to what
you see in rolling distros, is completely contrary to the main point
of runtimes, and is what makes me nervous. So, yes, rules about ABI
stability, change frequency and all that stuff sounds good, but I
would feel much better if the people working on it also believed in
the reasons for it, rather than just following rules.

Anyway, I think much of the problems come from having only one release
stream. Once we have two streams things will naturally be better, and
I'm sure everything will work out great.

--
 Alexander Larsson                                Red Hat, Inc
       alexl at redhat.com         alexander.larsson at gmail.com