[fdo] Request to host project "OpenSync" a synchronization framework

Armin Bauer armin.bauer at desscon.com
Sat Jun 26 14:33:18 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 10:31, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 10:28:35AM +0200, Armin Bauer wrote:
> > i am Armin Bauer, one of the developers of Multisync, an application to
> > sync various pdas, cellulars and other programs (see www.multisync.org
> > for further information)
> >
> > We recently ran into design limitations with our current version, which
> > was where we decided to develop a new major version of Multisync. I
> > started working on the new design but quickly noticed to there are a lot
> > of other projects in this field too. There are: coldsync, gpilot,
> > kpilot, agsync, j-pilot, malsync, multsync, kitchensync, pilot-manager,
> > pilot-mailsync and even more.
> >
> > There is a lot of redundant code and a lot of work is wasted by
> > rewriting what already exists in another project.
> >
> > Thats where i had the idea of creating a standardized sync framework
> > which could be used by all projects. This way a sync conduit would have
> > to be written only once and would immediately be available to all
> > projects.
> >
> > So i would like to ask you if you would be so kind to host this project
> > and a mailinglist so we can dicuss this idea and the required technology
> > with the developers of the other projects.
>
> Sure, we'd love to host it; if you could please send us:
> * Project short description
> For all developers:
> * Username
> * Real name
> * Email address
> * SSH key
>
> :) d

Great!

So here is the requested info:

Short project description:

The OpenSync project aims at creating a standardized synchronization
framework. It is intended to be used by developers working on PIM, eMail
or other applications which need support for synchronization. OpenSync
will provide a standard which defines how sync plugins have to be
written, so that once a plugin is finished it is immediately available
to all applications using this framework. It will also provide a
flexible and modular sync engine for those applications that wish to use
it. The purpose of this framework is to eleminate the need for
developers to reinvent the wheel and enabling the users to choose which
applications fits their need the most and not which supports the most
devices.

The ssh keys for the devs (the are more to follow, but they are busy
with the RLs atm):

Username: abauer
Realname: Armin Bauer
eMail: armin.bauer at desscon.com