[fdo] X11-free d-bus?

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Thu Nov 13 12:14:53 PST 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Qiming He <qiminghe at comcast.net> wrote:

> process 5496: arguments to dbus_connection_ref() were incorrect, assertion
> "connection != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 2497.

This means NULL was passed to dbus_connection_ref(), perhaps because
dbus_connection_open() or dbus_bus_get() failed and someone isn't
checking the return value. This is a bug that the app doesn't recover
more gracefully.

> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: dbus-launch failed to
> autolaunch D-Bus session: PuTTY X11 proxy: wrong authentication protocol
> attemptedAutolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.
> It seems to me  even in the console environment, DISPLAY has to be set for
> d-bus to work. Is it mandatory? Any work around?

X is only used in some fallback code to try to find dbus-daemon if
dbus-daemon isn't found via the normal mechanisms. Normally X would
never be an issue.

For a session bus, DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS should be set, for example.

The problem is that you have no dbus running, or no way (such as the
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS env variable) for the app to find the dbus
that's running. X and DISPLAY are not the root cause of your problem,
and should not be necessary.

Havoc