[fdo] Advanced interface for power management inhibition?

Fabian Köster koesterreich at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 14 11:01:52 PDT 2012

Hello,

I discovered some issues on my Xfce desktop regarding power management
inhibition:

Audio-only-Applications can use
the /org/freedesktop/PowerManagement/Inhibit interface for
temporarily disabling system standby. So far so good.

But what about Video applications? The above method only disables
system standby, but the monitor still dims and powers off if power
management is configured to do so.
Video applications can disable the screensaver
via /org/freedesktop/ScreenSaver/Inhibit, but is it intended to disable
monitor power management, too?

I am missing an extended /org/freedesktop/PowerManagement/Inhibit
method which knows (at least) two modes:

* disable system standby
* disable system standby and monitor standby
* ...

Is there a solution to this problem?

Fabian