[fdo] Postmortem: July 17th GitLab outage

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Aug 2 15:08:40 UTC 2018

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 at 20:00, Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net> wrote:
> Marek Olšák <maraeo at gmail.com> writes:
> > We can also save space by using the main repo for private branches,
> > e.g. my branches would be in refs/heads/mareko/*.
>
> It sounds like gitlab is not going to have this fixed very soon:
>
> https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/23029

To be honest I'm not really concerned about that. Space is
surprisingly cheap, and in a couple of weeks or so we should be able
to use transparently-resizable volumes with either no downtime or
~5min.

> Once we have gitlab CI hooked up (hopefully in the next week or so), I
> want developers to be able to push to gitlab and have CI go through the
> patch, before they actually submit to the ML.  If we're pushing to
> branches on origin, that could potentially be a lot of mailing list
> spam.  I'd want some sort of solution for that before we start telling
> people to just put their stuff in user branches on the central repo
> instead of personal forks.

If you give me a blacklist or whitelist of branches (e.g. 'blacklist
wip/*') I can fix the hook easily.

> People can also be a lot more cavalier with
> git push personalrepo +branch than I'd like to have them be with git
> push origin +branch.

You can control this:
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/protected_branches.html