[fdo] Code of Conduct questions

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 21:01:34 UTC 2018

Here's Luke's response (sorry it's so long). I think the message at the end
is the point of Luke's reasoning, so, for those who don't have the time to
read the whole thing, they can read the last 20-30 lines of this message.

Jacob Lifshay

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018, 03:37 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

> (thanks for forwarding these, jacob, and hello daniel).
>
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 9:54 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
> wrote:

Since Luke didn't provide a link to the FreeBSD fiasco I asked him to
provide one:
On Mon, Oct 22, 2018, 13:32 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 8:32 PM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Despite how much you dislike it, I would ask you to share a link to the
FreeBSD fiasco as both Daniel and I probably won't completely understand
your objections unless we can see the results.

 i didn't actually look: i didn't want to.  as in, *at the time* i was
so repulsed that i did not look.  the coverage from slashdot alone was
enough to sicken me and have me deeply concerned.

 so i googled "slashdot freebsd", first link that came up was a
suggestion auto-completion "slashdot freebsd".

 however this also came up (or the llvm slashdot article did)
 http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2018-May/122922.html
https://developers.slashdot.org/story/18/05/03/1639245/one-of-llvms-top-contributors-quits-development-over-code-of-conduct-outreach-program

note what he says,

" When I joined llvm no one asked or cared about my religion or
political view. We all seemed committed to just writing a good
compiler framework."

 and then,

"Somewhat recently a code of conduct was adopted. It says that the
community tries to welcome people of all "political belief". Except
those whose political belief mean that they don't agree with the code
of conduct. Since agreement is required to take part in the
conferences, I am no longer able to attend."

so *without consulting* him, they imposed a change that FORCES people
who have been demonstrated years of loyal service to a project to
suddenly be treated like paraiahs.

the very thing that these toxic documents CLAIM not to desire are in
fact being forced at and onto people.

this really is an extremely complex multi-faceted issue where there is
not the "one definitive answer".  it's a combination of really quite
insidious psychologically-damaging issues, all of which add up to
"trouble".

l.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018, 13:49 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

have you ever seen the immigration cards for foreigners entering the
united states, before the introduction of the electronic visas?  it's
not a joke, they quite literally (with very little "translation"),
asked the following questions:

* are you a nazi? (please tick yes or no)

* are you a drug dealer? (please tick yes or no)

* are you a child kidnapper? (please tick yes or no)

* are you a criminal? (please ttick yes or no)

* are you a money launderer? (please tick yes or no).

if you answered "no", welcome to the united states!!!

now.  think how that makes visitors feel..

let's take it a step further.  examine the "contributor convenant" (or
the fdo equivalent which is based on the CC)  make a web app out of
it.  place each of the proscribed unacceptable behaviours, one by one,
all twenty to thirty of them, on their own separate page, with a
checkbox REQUIRING that people read, accept and agree to each and
every single one of them, individually.

take your time.  spend 30 seconds on each. dwell on them.  take it
seriously.  think seriously, "do i have the intention to commit this
particular atrocious behaviour against anyone?"

at the end of the list, have a page that says, "congratulations!  you
are now welcome!".

now tell me how you feel about contributing to the project after being
forced to go through that list.

does that promise of being "welcome" really feel true?

l.